- Last Updated on Wednesday, 07 November 2012 11:40
Mark is Director Education, Research and Policy of Volunteering Qld. He has over 20 years experience as an educator and consultant working with a range of voluntary and non-profit organisations and groups. He has particular interest in supporting social innovation and smaller voluntary organisations and groups and their role in creating a strong and vital civil society. He is currently working with a range of young leaders, new organisations and initiatives exploring new models of engagement, leadership and sustainability.
In this role he works with paid staff, boards and volunteers. He facilitates a range of projects and workshops to develop more effective leadership within communities and on boards, to assist organisations and groups work more effectively and to support staff within nonprofit organisations to work at staying well. He has worked with over 5,000 community and non-profit projects over the past five years Mark has a B.Ed. (Adult and Workplace) (1st Class Honours) and is currently completing his Masters in Education (Leadership and Management). He is the Queensland consultant for the Australian Journal of Volunteering. Mark is also on Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies’ (CPNS) Social Enterprise Reference Group. He has previously worked for Community Aid Abroad and Amnesty International.
Recent projects include:
- Co-researcher and writer of Youth Leading Youth, a study on the learnings from youth-led organisations.
- Advisor, research partner and program development service learning, volunteering and student engagement - CQUniversity, QUT, UQ and Griffith University.
- Development and delivery of Leadership in Action, Teams in Action and Community Engagement in Action Modules for the QUT, Business Advantage Program (2003-2012).
- Development and delivery of the Community and Corporate Engagement program at CQUniversity.
- Design, development and facilitation of the 2009/2010 Fitzroy Basin Association Emerging Leaders Program for agricultural, conservation and indigenous leaders.
- Development and facilitation of a range of forums exploring new models of innovative engagement and social entrepreneurialism.
- Development and continued facilitation of the Community Peer Leadership Program for community leaders (voluntary and paid) in Moreton Bay 2011-2012, in Ipswich 2008-2010 and throughout Brisbane in 2001-2007.
- Facilitated a range of organisational development programs across several years for a variety of not-for-profits and social justice initiatives.
- Development and delivery of Capacity Plus, a forum/workshop hosted by the Municipal Association of Victoria and Department of Victorian Communities.
- Facilitating of over 50 workshops and Master classes in further developing skills and knowledge in building and enhancing groups, working with volunteers, leadership, capacity building and facilitation.
- Developing a range of capacity building initiatives in environment and water resources programs throughout Brisbane and providing professional development for local and state government staff in a range of initiatives.
- Development of a web based learning resource for working with volunteers hosted through local government and a Community Leadership website in partnership with Faculty of Education, QUT to support local community leaders.
- The development and delivery of facilitative leadership program for Middle Years Schooling coordinators delivered in a range of locations across Queensland 2005-2009, Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne.
- Developing approaches and materials in Corporate Social Responsibility and assisting in the development of policy regarding corporate – community – council partnerships.
- Jointly completing a book ‘Willing and Able’ which provides an approach to engaging community outside of traditional volunteer management approaches.
- Joint development of the first Queensland university elective in working with volunteers (in partnership with UQ Social Work department).
- Original member of the Ministerial Advisory Group for Adult and Community Education.